Simple Seaweed Salad
Enjoy this simple and healthy Japanese seaweed salad. Seaweed is packed with soluble fibres such as alginates, carrageenan, and agar, minerals like calcium and iron and other nutrients like vitamins A, C, and E.
Preparation and cook time total: 20 minutes
- 1 1/2 ounce dried wakame seaweed (whole or cut)
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons plain rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- red pepper flakes to taste
- 4 slivered scallions
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- Sea salt to taste (note: “the often high sodium content of seaweed needs to be considered by those who have to monitor their salt intake.”)
- Place both seaweed types in large bowl with cold water and cover. Let soak between 5 to 10 minutes until it becomes soft. Drain water and pat the seaweed dry then place in a salad bowl.
- Make the dressing in a small bowl by whisking together the sesame oil, ginger, sugar, pepper, rice vinegar and soy sauce.
- Pour half the dressing over the seaweed tossing it gently. Surround salad with thinly sliced carrots and add a touch of salt to salad, if needed.
- Sprinkle seaweed salad with sesame seeds and slivered scallions.
- To add dimension to your seaweed salad, add thinly sliced cucumbers, avocado, sliced almonds and/or a few dried cranberries.