Thai Pumpkin Soup
Perfect for leftover Halloween pumpkin
Thai Pumpkin Soup is a quick, easy and healthy meal packed with flavour. This recipe consists of five main ingredients; pumpkin puree, chicken/vegetable broth, coconut milk, sugar and lime juice, creating the perfect blend of sweet, spicy and savory. To make your own pumpkin puree, simply add diced pumpkin to the broth and coconut milk and simmer until tender (about 15-20 minutes).
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 cups chicken broth/vegetable broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pumpkin puree or 4 cups home made pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce or soy sauce juice of one lime
- Optional 4 tablespoons of peanut butter
1. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat, add the curry paste and cook. Stir constantly until fragrant, about one minute.
2. Add the broth, coconut milk, pumpkin puree, fish sauce, brown sugar and lime juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and let simmer for 5 minutes. Note: To make pumpkin puree from scratch, you will need about 6 pounds of pumpkin, (usually one big one or two small ones) peel, seed and cut them into 1 inch cubes and add to the coconut milk and broth. Simmer while covered until tender about 15 to 20 minutes before pureeing.
Optional: Butternut squash can be used instead of pumpkin.
Garnish ideas: peanuts, slice of lime, sliced chili pepper or cilantro
Image courtesy of Kittikun Atsawintarangkul at FreeDigitalPhotos.net